Posted by: Meg | 2009-06-23

Healping me replace the bad with the good....

So, here I am asking for some advice, um, more like some help!

I really need to loose about 10 kg and I want to be fit and healthy for summer. I am a member of a gym but my will to go in this freezing cape town has died. Do you have some help with getting myself motivated to get up and go 3-4 times a week?

Also, my diet has become shocking and I used to be a very healthy woman. My breakfast is usually 2 toast or cerel (muslie, kelloggs etc) low fat milk. but on the weekends I usually end up being more unhealthy and have a toasted sandwich for breakfast or the like. I like to snack on the WRONG things - usually nuts or chips.

Lunch is either 2 more slices of toast or left over dinner from the night before....

Dinner is, well I try to keep it healthy but sometimes ends up being burgers and chips or spagetti. Vegies are not enough of a part of my diet these days and I LOVE veggies. PLus I have to cook for my brother and my boyfriend so keeping them happy and my waist happy is proving more and more difficult.

I need new ideas, new healthy cooking methods. Also a thing to consider is how expensive normal grocerys are these days, so if you have any money concious healthy cooking ideas, please do share.

HELP! If you can give me some tips to looking great for summer I would be very grateful :) im a bit lost at the moment.

Dear Meg
If you visit the DietDoc site by clicking on 'Diet' at the top of this page you will be able to find a wealth of information about healthy eating, losing weight, etc. Try the slimming diets on the DietDoc site by clicking on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet’ and then on 'Slimming Diet'. This should give you the guidelines you require to get back to eating healthy low-fat meals. Just serve the men in your family larger portions as they too will benefit from this type of eating. If you can't make it to the gym through the Atlantic storms that are battering Cape Town, buy yourself a skipping rope and skip for 30 min a day. This is one of the best aerobic exercises you can do and it will also keep you nice and warm in the cold weather because it will improve your blood circulation.
Hope you get back to sensible eating.
Do surf the DietDoc site for info and inspiration.

Posted by: Anon | 2009-06-23

I gym at Virgin.

Whiskey is just as bad hey.. dont kid yourself. Have that as your cheat once a week. No need to cut it out 100%.

EAT then shop, its a golden rule. Make a shopping list and stick to it. Dont buy those choclates for later, or those chips for maybe. Just dont buy it! I buy my cheat food on my cheat day and thats it. It has worked for me and I am a terrible eater... I would live on crisps if I could. I weaned myself off them by buying baked pretzels, then nothing. Worked like a bomb, I still crave the salt though.

Kauai is a good healthy alternative when eating out. Sushi too. Just look at the menu and order wisely. Ask them to add the dressing/sauces on the side, dip your fork in it, add food then eat, You eat 90% less sauce which is always loaded with fat, salt etc.

Buy healthy snackes for when you having a bad day and need to chomp at things. Dried fruit (not covered in sugar), biltong with no fat (ostrich biltong is best) slim slabs (too many is fattening), miixed nuts (unsalted).

Another golden rule. If you hungry, drink a glass of a water, if you still hungry 10 minutes later, then eat something. Most times we eat but we were actually just thirsty,

Plan you meals the night before.

Breakfast : muesli and low fat yougurt, 1 apple
S : 4 provitas and 1 melrose wedge
L : salad with chicken
S : apple or banana
D : something light, veggies and chicken etc

then stick to it! It takes time, but you will soon be in that habit.

Posted by: Meg | 2009-06-23

Thanks for all the tips, I also live in table view - flamingo vlei! I do have a gym buddy but she seems to be lacking in motivation just as much as I do. I go to planet fitness in parklands.

Will go stock up on veggies and stop buying unhealthy foods when I go to the shop. I find that if I go to the shop hungry I buy a hell of a lot more unhealthy food or more food than needed?

What about eating out, where are good, healthy and reasonable places to go?

Also, I love my beer!!!!! So im trying to stick to whisky but man sometimes it' s hard!!!!

Reply to Meg
Posted by: Anon | 2009-06-23

Find a gym buddy - thats always motivating. But I know what you mean about the weather here in CT. I am in tableview, and looking for a buddy too. But my working hours are not normal. so finding someone is hard.

DONT buy the bad foods, then you cant eat them! Stock up on veggies and good foods and allow yourself a cheat day but dont go overboard.

My cheat is a little packet of nik naks and a real tin of coke.

Get the men in your life to support you, healthy eating is good form them too.

Buy a Bauer pan, no oils needed, you can cook anything in there. Salads with grilled chicken, woolies tomato soup is great and is low in calories and salts etc. Just heat and eat with some low gi whole wheat bread.