Posted by: ANONYMOUS | 2011-07-28

Is there such a thing as a magic pill to stop my binging &  purging? Tired therapy, hypnosis, alternative name there a rehab for people who binges &  vomit?
Want to get out of this nightmare but keep on doing it numerous times daily..scared

Expert ImageEating Disorders Expert

Hello Anonymous,
I'm sorry I am not able to respond to questions very regularly, but you appear to have already received some sound advice from other readers. I can confirm that there is certainly no magic pill/medication for bulimia, but Fluoxetine (Prozac, Nuzac, in quite high dosage is the conservative choice of medication, given that it assists in decreasing impulse control behaviours. In other words, it will chemically assist in your attempts to decrease behaviors that are impulsive, like bingeing. However, medication alone will seldom be enough. Research has shown that therapy is more effective than medication alone, but therapy in combination with medication can be the most effective. Most patients should be able to benefit from outpatient treatment, but you would be advised to make use of a specialist in the area (eating disorders). If inpatient care is requires, again, I advise that you seek the services of a specialist unit, of which there are very few in the country. State facilities exist at TARA (Jhb) and Tygerberg Hospital (Cape Town). The only specialist Eating Disorders Units within the private sector are the two Crescent Clinics in Cape Town and Randburg. I was part of the team that started the first private clinic unit at Kenilworth Clinic in 1994, but we moved the unit to Crescent Clinic in Cape Town 8 years later, where we still run the programme today. No other clinic or hospital in the Cape has an eating disorders unit. If you email me, I will happily direct you to a facility in your area. My address is in my profile.

Posted by: Lee | 2011-08-11

An anti-depressant like Nuzac can help but it needs to be used in conjunction with counseling. The first step however you have already managed to pass and that is seeking help and admitting your problem. Congtratulations on coming this far.

Reply to Lee
Posted by: Kasandra | 2011-08-05

well said and well done Tracy. good luck with your journey

Reply to Kasandra
Posted by: Tracy | 2011-08-04

Medication can help you to cope, depending on the prognosis. It is a good idea to consult a psychologist who might then refer you to a psychiatrist who is able to prescribe some kind of medication. An in-patient treatment facility does increase your chances of healing. I went to Crescent Clinic in Jhb. I have been in recovery for over 6 months now and it was the best decision I could ever have made. There is a team approach where you will be seen by numerous doctors, including a dietician who will be able to get you on the right meal plan. You just need to trust the doctors and the process and make this decision for you. I had no choice. I could see my life either ending as a result of my eating disorder or fighting it and living life to the fullest. I chose to live. You still have a choice which many do not. The disease will eventually catch up with you.

Reply to Tracy
Posted by: hope2help | 2011-08-01

true, there is unfortunately no magic pills but,the good news is, there are indeed loads of places to go to help heal you from your arent alone!
you can google eating disorder clinics to find one in your area.
good luck!

Reply to hope2help
Posted by: Kasandra | 2011-08-01

It is indeed a nightmare, congrats on wanting to do anything to help yourself.

Which area are you in? I know kenilworth clinic use to deal with eating disorders. Western Cape.

There is no magic pill just hard work and dealing with your emotional pain in a constructive and building on your self esteem.

Reply to Kasandra