Question
Posted by: Anneli | 2011/10/17

headlice article ''Malathion 0.4%

Hi, During September you placed an article about headlice and one of the treatments mentioned were " ... Malathion 0.4% in alcohol" 

Please let me know if this is a type of shampoo mix with malathion or is it a form of alhohol that may be pourchase at our pharmacy. Is it safe to use, and if a type of alcohol solution what is the amount to be added to ahampoo. We have tried all the different shampoo''s but find it to be unsuccesfull. We live at the coast in Western Cape, could this be a factor????

Expert ImagePharmacist

Hi Anneli

To my knowledge this, although a standard treatment, is not available as a commercial product anymore in SA. It can still be made by some compounding pharmacies, but is may be easier to purchase an existing lice product from pharmacies. As a result of its toxicity, not many shampoos containing insecticides for the treatment of head lice are still available. The last time I looked Para Plus Spray - a combination of insecticides of which one is Malathion - was still availble.

2
Posted by: charmaine hill | 2011/10/21

There is only one safe and 100% effective head lice treatment which is so safe and natural it can be used on pre school kids and that is EKSTRAKTA - google it, you will find all you need to know about it and NO - I DON''T manufacture or sell it !!! IT IS FANTASTIC !

Reply to charmaine hill
Posted by: pharmacist | 2011/10/18

Hi Anneli

Reply to pharmacist