Posted by: Mark | 2008-11-13

Heading for another breakdown - Bipolar

Hi CS, I am suffering to cope at work and in general also. I am bipolar. I am already on the maximum dosages of psychiatric medicine that I may take. I have been hospitalised 6times and have had 4 psychologists, and they havent found any psychological issues that may be the problem. How am i suppose to get better when the experts cant find fault except diagnosing me with bipolar and prescribing medicine. I use pills to sleep, pills to keep me awake, pills to cope and survive during the day. It just never ends. I feel abnormal and feel like rubbish. Feel as though I am a liability for everybody around me. What can i do to prevent another relapse

The job of the psychologist isn't only to look for possibly causative psychological issues ( often, especially with bipolar disorder, there aren't any ) , but to help one shift the habits of negative thinking, and to identify and manage stressors and triggers better. Sounds like you need to schedule a long, calm but firm discussion with your shrink, to discuss you concerns about your diagnosis and treatment, and to understand his rationale for this plan