Question
Posted by: Carla | 2009/05/15

Headaches when exercising

I am a 37 year old female who joined the gym 6 months ago. When I do any exercises where my head remains on the floor for a period of time (leg lifts while on back), I getthe most excruciating pain in my head. This lasts for about five minutes after getting up from the floor. The pain is so severe that it makes me nervous. Before I joined the gym I also noticed these headpains when I would be lying on my back laughing - I would have to stop the activity and get the kids off of so that I could sit up for the pain to subside. Should I worry about this and should I go see a Dr?

Expert ImageHeadache expert

Dear Carla,

All headaches should be properly investigated, first to rule out some serious underlying condition (which fortunately is not common), and then to diagnose the source of the pain. Once the source of the pain has been identified, then the problem can in the majority of people be eliminated. To get to the root of the problem, you need what is called a “multidisciplinary assessment”. There are so many different structures in the head and neck, all of which can be involved in the headache process, that no single specialist can have all the knowledge necessary to make a comprehensive assessment and diagnosis. For instance, a neurologist will examine the brain and nervous system, a physiotherapist will look at the muscles, a dentist will examine the teeth etc. For this reason, the “multidisciplinary assessment” combines and integrates the expertise of different specialists who would normally treat headache patients in isolation, into a single more comprehensive body of knowledge. This enables the different members of the team to provide a co-ordinated treatment plan, so that all the contributing factors are addressed.

This assessment must include a thorough examination of the head and neck muscles to determine the presence of abnormal tension, and of the external carotid vasculature to determine whether there is an arterial element to the pain.

Headache sufferers often have a poor Quality of Life due to the constant pain and associated symptoms. For a free assessment of how your headaches are affecting your Quality of Life, click on http://www.headacheclinic.co.za/

This information has been supplied and checked by the multidisciplinary team of specialists at The Headache Clinic, in association with The International Headache Society and the South African Institute of Headache and Migraine Science. For consultation with these specialists, call The Headache Clinic (Cape Town, Durban, Johannesburg) on 0861 678 911.

2
Posted by: Anonymous | 2009/05/20

Head
aches which occur after exercising on a stationary bike and treadmill. Hypertension diagnosed

Posted by: Anonymous | 2009/05/20