Posted by: sue | 2008-12-17

headaches post excerse

I seem to suffer bad headaches about 1/2 hr after excerse. I drink about 500mls of water during the excerse and about 500ml over the next 3 hrs. I have tried varing this but the headaches still come. I only do about 30mins of moderate excerse at a time and have low BP which goes up about 5-10 after excersise on the systolic

Hi Sue

Difficult one. not uncommon, but very difficult to treat. I'm pretty certain it's not related to water intake, so you needn't worry about being dehydrated or anything like that.

More likely it's a blood pressure issue. The "cop out" is that I can't actually suggest what you might do to fix the problem, other than hang in there until it goes away. There is a condition, quite common, where the blood pressure changes fairly quickly, but the brain regulates its own pressure (for protective reasons). For some reason (unknown to me), this "auto-regulation" of pressure causes headaches, which many people experience, some after strenuous exercise, others after any exercise. The problem isn't permanent though, which is probably not much consolation to you, but it should go away after a while, once you adapt. The heat might also have something to do with it (because of its impact on BP).

So hang in there and see how it develops in the next few weeks. If it still persists, then you might consider seeing a doctor, but I have a feeling it won't.

Sorry I can't be more specific and help.

Posted by: sue | 2009-01-07

Thanks for your input. I will persist with the excersise and I also have a feeling that the Blood Pressure may be the issue.

Reply to sue