Question
Posted by: Marinda | 2010/07/12

Headaches for over 3 weeks

Good day,

I need your advice please. I have been having constant headaches for almost a month now. It doenst matter if i take headache tablets, it is still there. I am also very tired all the time, and feel moody.

I have lost weight as well and i dont know why. I am not complainging LOL, but i dont know if it could be a connection.

Please advice!! I am getting quite worried.

Thank you,

Expert ImageHeadache expert

Dear Marinda,

If you have lost weight, then you should first see your doctor for a general medical examination. I am sorry but I don’t know what LOL means.

If your doctor is satisfied that you are in good health then for the headaches, to get to the root of the problem, you need what is called a “multidisciplinary assessment”, which should include a neurological examination to rule out any serious underlying condition. There are so many different structures in the head and neck, all of which can be involved in the headache process, that no single specialist can have all the knowledge necessary to make a comprehensive assessment and diagnosis. For instance, a neurologist will examine the brain and nervous system, a physiotherapist will look at the muscles, a dentist will examine the teeth etc. For this reason, the “multidisciplinary assessment” combines and integrates the expertise of different specialists who would normally treat headache patients in isolation, into a single more comprehensive body of knowledge. This enables the different members of the team to provide a co-ordinated treatment plan, so that all the contributing factors are addressed.

This assessment must include a thorough examination of the head and neck muscles to determine the presence of abnormal tension, and of the external carotid vasculature to determine whether there is an arterial element to the pain.

1
Posted by: Headache expert | 2010/07/12

Dear Marinda,

Reply to Headache expert