Posted by: Mommy to be | 2009-01-28

Headaches and pregnancy

hi there, please help, i am only seeing my Gynea again in 4 weeks. but now for the last few days , i have been having head aches every day , its like someone is banging on my head. and i am 12 weeks pregnant. Is this something i should be worried about? Or is it normal? I also have low blood pressure, could that be part of it? Please , any advise will help. Thank you

Expert ImageHeadache expert

Dear Mommy to be,

Unfortunately migraines often get worse during the first three months of a pregnancy. The encouraging thing is that after the first three months, they very often improve and may disappear for the duration of the pregnancy.

Low blood pressure is not a known cause of headaches.

To get to the root of the problem, you need what is called a “multidisciplinary” approach. There are so many different structures in the head and neck are, all of which can be involved in the headache process, that no single specialist can have all the knowledge necessary to make a comprehensive assessment and diagnosis. For this reason, we have combined the expertise of different specialists who would normally treat headache patients in isolation, into a single more comprehensive body of knowledge. This enables us to provide a co-ordinated treatment plan, so that all the contributing factors are addressed. This assessment must include examination to determine the presence of tension in the head and neck muscles. With the correct diagnosis, most sufferers can be successfully treated without the use of drugs.

Headache sufferers often have a poor Quality of Life due to the constant pain and associated symptoms. For a free assessment of how your headaches are affecting your Quality of Life, click on

This information has been supplied and checked by the multidisciplinary team of specialists at The Headache Clinic, in association with The International Headache Society and the South African Institute of Headache and Migraine Science. For consultation with these specialists, call The Headache Clinic on 0861 678 911 (Johannesburg, Durban, Cape Town).