Posted by: Shelly | 2008-12-22

Headaches after my cycle

I am 43 years old, use to suffer from headaches a week before my cycle and had to take pain killers for about 3 days until the period started then would go away. The last 6 months the headaches come on the 6th day after the cycle and last for 5 days and throbs at my temples, when I asked my gynae he said it cant be hormones, every month it is the same story Iafter my cycle. I never get headaches any other time but these are so bad I have to take mypaid and they send me on a trip and a half.
He did tell me my uterus is a bit enlarged and I would need a hysterectomy but I feel if the pap is all fine and the bleeding is heavy on the 1st 2 day only. Am I not too young for a hys I do suffer from IBS,. could it be the uterus pressing on the colon causing constipation and bloating or not. I have been off the pill for a good 10 years as I tried different pills and they caused bad headaches but through the month.

Day 6 is an unusual time of the cycle to have a hormonal headache. I would suggest that you see your GP to check your blood pressure and look for other causes of headaches.
Whether you need a hysterectomy or not really depends on how enlarged your uterus is. The bowel is quite compressible, so it is unlikely that the uterus is causing your constipation.