Question
Posted by: Kernita | 2012-01-11

Headaches

Hi Doc, I have been suffering since prior teenage yrs with severe headaches. Went to a neurologist and they conducted tests and did a nerve manipulation. Ever since the manipulation when i get a headache my shoulder and neck muscles start a burning pain and swells up. What could this be? I really need to rid myself from headaches i use pain killers up to twice a day.

Expert ImageHeadache expert

Dear Kernita,

I am not familiar with the concept of ‘nerve manipulation’ and I think that there must some misunderstanding. If your muscle get a burning pain and swell up, then it is no doubt muscle spasm. To rid yourself of the headaches, you have to have a thorough diagnosis of the cause of the pain. To get to the root of the problem, you need what is called a “multidisciplinary assessment”, which should include a neurological examination to rule out any serious underlying condition. There are so many different structures in the head and neck, all of which can be involved in the headache process, that no single specialist can have all the knowledge necessary to make a comprehensive assessment and diagnosis. For instance, a neurologist will examine the brain and nervous system, a physiotherapist will look at the muscles, a dentist will examine the teeth etc. For this reason, the “multidisciplinary assessment” combines and integrates the expertise of different specialists who would normally treat headache patients in isolation, into a single more comprehensive body of knowledge. This enables the different members of the team to provide a co-ordinated treatment plan, so that all the contributing factors are addressed.

This assessment must include a thorough examination of the head and neck muscles to determine the presence of abnormal tension, and of the external carotid vasculature to determine whether there is an arterial element to the pain.

Headache sufferers often have a poor Quality of Life due to the constant pain and associated symptoms. For a free assessment of how your headaches are affecting your Quality of Life, click on http://www.headacheclinic.co.za/

This information has been supplied and checked by the multidisciplinary team of specialists at The Headache Clinic, in association with The International Headache Society and the South African Institute of Headache and Migraine Science. For consultation with these specialists, call The Headache Clinic (Cape Town, Durban, Johannesburg) on 0861 678 911.

1
Posted by: Headache expert | 2012-01-11

Dear Kernita,

Reply to Headache expert