Question
Posted by: jane | 2011/08/30

headaches

good day. i have been vegetarian for the past 3.5 years, and vegan for about the last 6 months. had my eyes tested recently, no problem there, but am suffering from mild headaches for days at a time. i sleep well, although my diet could include more greens - could this be the problem? any advice as to how i could resolve this? many thanks.

Dear Jane
If your vegan diet is well balanced and contains a variety of foods and you take vitamin and mineral supplements then the diet is probably not responsible for your headaches. Headaches can be caused by such a wide variety of factors (sinusitis, colds, flu, iron and/or vit B12 deficiency, other deficiencies, stress, neck problems, etc), that it is important to have a thorough medical checkup to determine what is causing them. Once we have a diagnosis, I can assist you with dietary advice, if the headaches are being caused by a dietary factor.
Please ask your dr to check if there is a physical cause for the headaches (iron or vit B12 deficiency anaemia or some other deficiency, neck spasms, etc).

1

Dear Jane