Posted by: Anon | 2008-12-14

I have anxiety/stress headaches, as well as tension headaches. Other things have been excluded. How are these usually treated when ordinary pain meds don' t help and one has a sensitivity to the usual anti-depressants such cilift, remeron, imipramine? I know some ppl take tripiline and was also wondering if it' s good for headaches and if it' s similar to imipramine?
I hope you have a good Christmas and many thanks for your advice.

Anxiety / stress and tension headaches tend to by much the same, though surely unpleasant. Trepiline is an old antiodepressant of the "Tricyclic" family ( which refers to the chemical shape of its moleculres ) and Imipramine is also an old antidepressant --- between them, they're probably the oldest popular antidepressants still in use, and some do indeed find that they help their headackes
I think, in the situation you describe, that I'd like to get a full assessment by a good local psychiatrist, including an assessment of the degree to which stress and anxiety plays a role in these headaches, and of the sources of that anxiety. The CBT counselling is an excellent way to deal with those stresses --- learning how to avoid those that are avoidable, and how to deal better with any that may be unavoidable, and how to relax when you need to, which ghelps to relieve and even avoid the headaches.