Question
Posted by: Lesley Messiah | 2009/12/09

Headache' s just started recently

Good Day,

My Headache' s started a few days ago, it happens daily and only stops once I drink a pain killer and start immediately after 4 hours. The pain is next to my right ear, it' s feels like the artery next to my right ear wants to explode (almost as if it builds up some type of pressure). The same time the headache started my teeth on the right side of my mouth also became very sensitive to hot &  cold and I also have toothache.

Expert ImageHeadache expert

Dear Lesley,
Your combination of symptoms suggests that you may have a bite problem compounded by clenching or grinding the teeth during the night. Having said that though, you need to be thoroughly checked to be certain. To get to the root of the problem, you need what is called a “multidisciplinary assessment”, which should include a neurological examination to rule out any serious underlying condition. There are so many different structures in the head and neck, all of which can be involved in the headache process, that no single specialist can have all the knowledge necessary to make a comprehensive assessment and diagnosis. For instance, a neurologist will examine the brain and nervous system, a physiotherapist will look at the muscles, a dentist will examine the teeth etc. For this reason, the “multidisciplinary assessment” combines and integrates the expertise of different specialists who would normally treat headache patients in isolation, into a single more comprehensive body of knowledge. This enables the different members of the team to provide a co-ordinated treatment plan, so that all the contributing factors are addressed.

This assessment must include a thorough examination of the head and neck muscles to determine the presence of abnormal tension, and of the external carotid vasculature to determine whether there is an arterial element to the pain.

Headache sufferers often have a poor Quality of Life due to the constant pain and associated symptoms. For a free assessment of how your headaches are affecting your Quality of Life, click on http://www.headacheclinic.co.za/

This information has been supplied and checked by the multidisciplinary team of specialists at The Headache Clinic, in association with The International Headache Society and the South African Institute of Headache and Migraine Science. For consultation with these specialists, call The Headache Clinic (Cape Town, Durban, Johannesburg) on 0861 678 911.

1
Posted by: headache expert | 2009/12/09

Dear Lesley,

Reply to headache expert