Posted by: Mohamed Ally Joosab Noor Mahomed | 2009-07-19

Headache upon eating something sweet

Dear Sir / Madam

I often get a mild headache on the centre of my head instantly upon eating something sweet. I am also experiencing body odours such as a fruity smell which others cannot detect. My last fasting blood sugar level was 5.8.
Please advise.

Dear Mohamed
What did the dr say about your fasting blood sugar level and has he/she recommended that you have a glucose tolerance test done to determine your blood glucose and insulin levels over a period of time? if not, please return to the dr and ask him/her to help you to determine if you have an insulin resistance (IR) problem. It is essential for anyone with IR to consult a clinical dietitian, because the correct diet is one of the most important factors in treatment. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. The dietitian will take your IR, medications and other conditions such as overweight, into account when working out a diet for you, which will be based on low-fat foods with a low glycaemic index (GI). Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The Glycaemic Index' and read the articles on the GI. Also click on ‘Food as Medicine' on the Diet Site and then on ‘Type 2 diabetes’. Regular daily aerobic exercise for at least 30 min per day can also help you to improve your insulin and glucose levels, so start doing an aerobic exercise (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life).