Question
Posted by: wondering headache | 2010/05/25

headache questions

i have had a constant headache for the past 3 weeks, every morning, during the day, every night, the only time i don''t have the headache is when i''m sleeping, no sudden changes in my diet, nothing new, basically. although i have gone for blood tests yet again as i have abnormal hormonal function, but the headaches started the week before i went for the blood tests, my question is: will hormonal disfunction be the reason for the headaches or should I consult my doctor for other possibilities? i have tried and tested every headache pill availbale to me, but not one have suceeded. please help, i''m desperate. thanks

Expert ImageHeadache expert

Dear Wondering Headache,

The only way to deal with the problem is to diagnose why your body is reacting abnormally to your hormone fluctuations. It is important to remember that the change in hormone levels is only a trigger, not the underlying cause of the pain. To find out why your body reacts in this way, you need what is called a “multidisciplinary” approach. This must include an assessment of the tension in the head and neck muscles. There are so many different structures in the head and neck are, all of which can be involved in the headache process, that no single specialist can have all the knowledge necessary to make a comprehensive assessment and diagnosis. For this reason, you need the combined the expertise of different specialists who would normally treat headache patients in isolation, into a single more comprehensive body of knowledge. This enables us to provide a co-ordinated treatment plan, so that all the contributing factors are addressed.

Headache sufferers often have a poor Quality of Life due to the constant pain and associated symptoms. For a free assessment of how your headaches are affecting your Quality of Life, click on http://www.headacheclinic.co.za/

This information has been supplied and checked by the multidisciplinary team of specialists at The Headache Clinic, in association with The International Headache Society and the South African Institute of Headache and Migraine Science. For consultation with these specialists, call The Headache Clinic (Cape Town, Durban, Johannesburg) on 0861 678 911.

1
Posted by: Headache expert | 2010/05/25

Dear Wondering Headache,

Reply to Headache expert