Question
Posted by: khomotso | 2009/11/25

headache or migraine

I have been having bad headaches on and off for almost 5 years. In September this year, I was on medication for two weeks from normal pain killers, to blood thinning medication. After a while the headaches stopped. From 3 days ago the headaches are back. they are now not throbing, just pressure like pain on the forehead, causing nausea, dizziness and loss of energy. They last for at leas 3 hours and I get very irritable just before, and during the course of the headache.
Do I have chronic headache or migraine? What can I do to help with the pain?

Expert ImageHeadache expert

Dear Khomotso,

There is no clear distinction between chronic headache and migraine – the main thing is to diagnose where the pain is coming from. To get to the root of the problem, you need what is called a “multidisciplinary assessment”, which should include a neurological examination to rule out any serious underlying condition. There are so many different structures in the head and neck, all of which can be involved in the headache process, that no single specialist can have all the knowledge necessary to make a comprehensive assessment and diagnosis. For instance, a neurologist will examine the brain and nervous system, a physiotherapist will look at the muscles, a dentist will examine the teeth etc. For this reason, the “multidisciplinary assessment” combines and integrates the expertise of different specialists who would normally treat headache patients in isolation, into a single more comprehensive body of knowledge. This enables the different members of the team to provide a co-ordinated treatment plan, so that all the contributing factors are addressed.

This assessment must include a thorough examination of the head and neck muscles to determine the presence of abnormal tension, and of the external carotid vasculature to determine whether there is an arterial element to the pain.

Headache sufferers often have a poor Quality of Life due to the constant pain and associated symptoms. For a free assessment of how your headaches are affecting your Quality of Life, click on http://www.headacheclinic.co.za/

This information has been supplied and checked by the multidisciplinary team of specialists at The Headache Clinic, in association with The International Headache Society and the South African Institute of Headache and Migraine Science. For consultation with these specialists, call The Headache Clinic (Cape Town, Durban, Johannesburg) on 0861 678 911.

2
Posted by: Thuli | 2010/01/10

eve since i was 18 i started to have aHeadache,i will have it unless i drink Grandpa.Its painful on the sides,my eyes become red and heavy.I can leep or drink asprin they wont help,but when i take grandpa atleast for 4hrs ill be fine,pls helb me out

Reply to Thuli
Posted by: headache expert | 2009/11/27

Dear Khomotso,

Reply to headache expert