Posted by: Keri | 2009-05-20

Headache or Migraine

I have started getting headaches that last 24 hours, almost exaclty. They are random and I have had 4 or 5 within the last year. Nothing eases the pain and all I can do is try and sleep. I have been trying to keep track of what I eat and do so that I could possibly see a pattern, but I can seem to find one. Besides those headaches I have been getting " normal"  headaches (painkillers help and they dont last 24 hours) for the past 5 years. The 24 hour ones seem to be getting more frequent.
What would be the first step to take in order to find out what the cause is?

Expert ImageHeadache expert

Dear Keri,

The only way to get to the root of the problem is to have what is called a “multidisciplinary assessment”. There are so many different structures in the head and neck, all of which can be involved in the headache process, that no single specialist can have all the knowledge necessary to make a comprehensive assessment and diagnosis. For instance, a neurologist will examine the brain and nervous system, a physiotherapist will look at the muscles, a dentist will examine the teeth etc. For this reason, the “multidisciplinary assessment” combines and integrates the expertise of different specialists who would normally treat headache patients in isolation, into a single more comprehensive body of knowledge. This enables the different members of the team to provide a coordinated treatment plan, so that all the contributing factors are addressed.

This assessment must include a thorough examination of the head and neck muscles to determine the presence of abnormal tension, and of the external carotid vasculature to determine whether there is an arterial element to the pain.

Headache sufferers often have a poor Quality of Life due to the constant pain and associated symptoms. For a free assessment of how your headaches are affecting your Quality of Life, click on

This information has been supplied and checked by the multidisciplinary team of specialists at The Headache Clinic, in association with The International Headache Society and the South African Institute of Headache and Migraine Science. For consultation with these specialists, call The Headache Clinic (Cape Town, Durban, Johannesburg) on 0861 678 911.