Question
Posted by: Elna | 2011/04/20

headache or megraine.

Hi, I suffer from ''headache'' , sometimes I wake up at night with a huge headache, I aways get it ''on top'' of my head, normally on my righthand side, but lately also on my lefthand side. I try not to drink something for it if I think I can still ''handle '' it, I want to know is that maybe a megraine? Sometimes it will feel like the pain is ifecting the side of my face where the pain is, but if I look in the mirror, there''s nothing... I had a ''tumor'' removed about 4-5 years ago, I have a tatanium plate in my head and screws where i was operated. I want to know if you think I maybe must go for a mri again. Must also ad, that the last month + I have a lot of stress.

Expert ImageHeadache expert

Dear Elna,

Usually, with the correct approasch to the diagnosis, it is possible to tell whether the pain originates from inside or outside the skull. If the pain is from outside, then a scan is not necessary. If it is from inside then you should have a scan. It sounds a lot like muscle pain, but one cannot be sure without a proper examination. To get to the root of the problem, you need what is called a “multidisciplinary assessment”, which should include a neurological examination to rule out any serious underlying condition. There are so many different structures in the head and neck, all of which can be involved in the headache process, that no single specialist can have all the knowledge necessary to make a comprehensive assessment and diagnosis. For instance, a neurologist will examine the brain and nervous system, a physiotherapist will look at the muscles, a dentist will examine the teeth etc. For this reason, the “multidisciplinary assessment” combines and integrates the expertise of different specialists who would normally treat headache patients in isolation, into a single more comprehensive body of knowledge. This enables the different members of the team to provide a co-ordinated treatment plan, so that all the contributing factors are addressed.

This assessment must include a thorough examination of the head and neck muscles to determine the presence of abnormal tension, and of the external carotid vasculature to determine whether there is an arterial element to the pain.

Headache sufferers often have a poor Quality of Life due to the constant pain and associated symptoms. For a free assessment of how your headaches are affecting your Quality of Life, click on http://www.headacheclinic.co.za/

This information has been supplied and checked by the multidisciplinary team of specialists at The Headache Clinic, in association with The International Headache Society and the South African Institute of Headache and Migraine Science. For consultation with these specialists, call The Headache Clinic (Cape Town, Durban, Johannesburg) on 0861 678 911.

2
Posted by: Meagan | 2011/04/26

Hi,I suffer from headaches! Some doctors says it is Megraine,some says stress related I went to sleep with a headache and woke up with it! I had a scan and nothing was found,one doctor said that I have too little blood,Can you maybe help me in this matter? Just some advise please?

Reply to Meagan
Posted by: Headache expert | 2011/04/20

Dear Elna,

Reply to Headache expert