Question
Posted by: Zain | 2011/02/04

HEADACHE ON FOREHEAD

Good day

Please note that I have been recenly experiencing headaches on my forehead when I have been getting slightly stressed and this is happening in the last month or so.

I have not been in this situation previously no matter how stressed I have been but I have been under stress personally for a few days in a row and that stress is what I feel caused me to have these headaches now even though my situation now is general slight stress.

I do not want to take any medication as I with like to build my level of stress to what I have been and with highly appreciate your assistance.

You can e-mail or advise yoru reply via this website.

Thanking You

Expert ImageHeadache expert

Dear Zane,

Stress is recognised as one of the commonest triggers for tension headaches and migraines. There are three important factors to bear in mind with regard to the relationship between stress and tension headaches:

1 We all have stress to varying degrees, but only in 20% of people does it bring on a migraine or tension headache
2 Most people cannot change their circumstances, so their stress levels cannot be reduced, e.g., we can’t change our job, our financial status, interpersonal relationships, the crime rate, the traffic – the list is endless.
3 There is a vicious circle, with stress causing more migraines and tension headaches, and the pain of tension headaches and migraines in turn causing more stress. If the tension headaches or migraines are prevented, the patients stress levels often decrease dramatically, and the circle is reversed.

To successfully prevent stress from causing tension headaches or migraines, it is important to understand how stress actually triggers tension headaches and migraines – what is the mechanism? Stress itself is not painful, so how then does it cause pain? Once we have this understanding, it is possible in most people to break the link between migraine and tension headache and stress. Most tension headache and migraine sufferers have increased tension in the muscles of the head and neck. When one is stressed the tension in these muscles is increased still further, and the muscles become painful, leading to tension headache or migraine. In these patients, if the underlying muscle tension is reduced, then the increased tension caused by stress is no longer enough to cause pain.

Even in patients who have increased muscle tension though, there may be other influences contributing to the problem, and the investigation should not be confined to the muscles alone, as this may lead to only part of the problem being treated. The correct method is by a “multidisciplinary” approach. This must include an assessment of the tension in the head and neck muscles. There are so many different structures in the head and neck are, all of which can be involved in the tension headache or migraine process, that no single specialist can have all the knowledge necessary to make a comprehensive assessment and diagnosis. For this reason, the combined the expertise of different specialists who would normally treat migraine or tension headache patients in isolation, are co-ordinated into a single more comprehensive body of knowledge. This enables a more comprehensive treatment plan, in which all the contributing factors are addressed.

Tension headache and migraine sufferers often have a poor Quality of Life due to the constant pain and associated symptoms. For a free assessment of how your tension headaches or migraines are affecting your Quality of Life, click on http://www.headacheclinic.co.za/

This information has been supplied and checked by the multidisciplinary team of specialists at The Headache Clinic, in association with The International Headache Society and the Migraine Research Institute. For consultation with these specialists, call The Headache Clinic on 0861 678 911 (Johannesburg, Durban, Cape Town).

1
Posted by: Headache expert | 2011/02/05

Dear Zane,

Reply to Headache expert