Question
Posted by: Rosa | 2011/09/13

headache medication and weight gain

Hi Dr.
I suffer from headaches daily and migraine attacks every other day.
I was reffered to a Neurologist, a MRI was done blood test but all came back normal nothing to worry about.
The Neurologist put me Trepiline 10mg every night for the migraines this has worked wonders but I don''t want to be on these tablets for the rest of my life, should I take one every single day? or can I take 1 every 2nd or maybe even every 3rd day? I stopped taking this drug for about a month just to check if the headache would maybe clear but on the 3rd or 4th day without taking it the headaches were back as if they were never gone.
The other problem I have experienced on this medication is weight gain.

Your reply on this would be greatly appareciated.
Rosa

Expert ImageHeadache expert

Dear Rosa,

With regard to dosage, there is no hard-and-fast rule – it depends what works for you.

Although trepiline does sometimes help, the problem is that medication does have side effects. I am very much against taking medication if it can be avoided, and in most headache and migraine sufferers it is possible to treat successfully without drugs. The best way is to diagnose where the pain is actually coming from – if trepiline helps, then it is most likely to be a muscle tension problem. The only way to be certain though is to have a ‘multidisciplinary’ assessment, which should include a neurological examination to rule out any serious underlying condition. There are so many different structures in the head and neck, all of which can be involved in the headache process, that no single specialist can have all the knowledge necessary to make a comprehensive assessment and diagnosis. For instance, a neurologist will examine the brain and nervous system, a physiotherapist will look at the muscles, a dentist will examine the teeth etc. For this reason, the “multidisciplinary assessment” combines and integrates the expertise of different specialists who would normally treat headache patients in isolation, into a single more comprehensive body of knowledge. This enables the different members of the team to provide a co-ordinated treatment plan, so that all the contributing factors are addressed.

This assessment must include a thorough examination of the head and neck muscles to determine the presence of abnormal tension, and of the external carotid vasculature to determine whether there is an arterial element to the pain.

Headache sufferers often have a poor Quality of Life due to the constant pain and associated symptoms. For a free assessment of how your headaches are affecting your Quality of Life, click on http://www.headacheclinic.co.za/

This information has been supplied and checked by the multidisciplinary team of specialists at The Headache Clinic, in association with The International Headache Society and the South African Institute of Headache and Migraine Science. For consultation with these specialists, call The Headache Clinic (Cape Town, Durban, Johannesburg) on 0861 678 911.

1
Posted by: Headache expert | 2011/09/14

Dear Rosa,

Reply to Headache expert