Posted by: Sbu | 2012-11-19

Headache during sex

I''m a 27 year old male. I have started having the mother of all headaches during sex. At first i was losing my hearing (not completely) for 6 - 10 minutes and then it got worse. It (the sex) starts off well, but when it gets more and more intense the headache starts pounding really really bad,and then when i cum it feels like someone just banged me with a hammer and then it lasts for at the least 30min to 2 hours at the worst.

What''s going on here?

Expert ImageHeadache expert

Dear Sbu,

Headaches can certainly be associated with sexual activity, especially with orgasm. There are two types of these headaches. In the first type, the excitement accompanying intercourse causes muscle contraction in the head and neck, thus leading to head pain.

The second type is a vascular headache. It is a very intense, severe headache usually occurring just before orgasm. It has been called an "orgasmic headache" or "orgasmic cephalalgia."

It is important to have a thorough medical check-up, including a neurological investigation to exclude the possibility of brain pathology. Fortunately this is not common, but it must be ruled out before any other treatment is instituted. Once this has been done, to get to the root of the problem you need what is called a “multidisciplinary” approach. This must include an assessment of the tension in the head and neck muscles. There are many different structures in the head and neck, all of which can be involved in the headache process, and no single specialist has all the knowledge necessary to make a comprehensive assessment and diagnosis. For this reason, the combined expertise of different specialists who would normally treat headache patients in isolation, is co-ordinated into a single more comprehensive body of knowledge. This enables a more comprehensive treatment plan, in which all the contributing factors are addressed.

People who sufferer from orgasmic headache often have a poor Quality of Life. For a free assessment of how your headaches are affecting your Quality of Life, click on

This information has been supplied and checked by the multidisciplinary team of specialists at The Headache Clinic, in association with The International Headache Society and the South African Institute of Headache and Migraine Science. For consultation with these specialists, call The Headache Clinic on 0861 678 911.

Posted by: Sbu | 2012-12-05

The expert knows about it, 3 people say it''s stress related... I guess it''s not such a big deal after all. Thanks.

Reply to Sbu
Posted by: HadItToo | 2012-11-28

Body builders and weight lifters often get this.
Had it too, go to chiropractor en let them put your neck in. C4 vertebrae I think it was. It is a trapped nerve. One or two visits and it''s gone.

Reply to HadItToo
Posted by: charlotte | 2012-11-28

i also had da same headache tanx nw i no wat cuzd it il start taking it easy

Reply to charlotte
Posted by: Peter | 2012-11-28

This was a common occurrence for myself a few years ago while going through rough time when the economy was taking a beating, and my income was threatened, additionally I developed anxiety and it took me about a year to recouperate, I would agree with Morne, it was caused by stress, after things came wright and my stress slowly disappeared, everything returned to normal.

Reply to Peter
Posted by: Morné  | 2012-11-28

I suffered from the exact same thing. Went to a neurologist and after some tests it all boiled down to stress. Fortunately a change in lifestyle and some hectic pain killers " cured"  me. Good luck!

Reply to Morn&#233