Question
Posted by: gloria sakoane | 2010/07/19

Headache, blurred vision and back neck pain EVERYDAY!

I have been suffering from headaches for the past month or so on a daily basis. They are really terrible and often lead me to taking strong pain killers which I was not used to. I then started having back neck pains and bad vision. I''m an IT person and works with computers each and everyday even on some weekends. Everytime i start working or watch TV then hell break loose. It gets better when I take a pill but for a period of time only. I sleep with pain and wake up with it. I have seen two doctors but it helps not. I normally get massaged on my neck and get better for a while. Is it caused by stress, or maybe posture, or the light from my pc or TV, or maybe my diet. This is starting to take over my life. Whats wrong with me? HELP PLZ!

Expert ImageHeadache expert

Dear Gloria,

To get to the root of the problem, you need what is called a “multidisciplinary assessment”, which should include a neurological examination to rule out any serious underlying condition. There are so many different structures in the head and neck, all of which can be involved in the headache process, that no single specialist can have all the knowledge necessary to make a comprehensive assessment and diagnosis. For instance, a neurologist will examine the brain and nervous system, a physiotherapist will look at the muscles, a dentist will examine the teeth etc. For this reason, the “multidisciplinary assessment” combines and integrates the expertise of different specialists who would normally treat headache patients in isolation, into a single more comprehensive body of knowledge. This enables the different members of the team to provide a co-ordinated treatment plan, so that all the contributing factors are addressed.

This assessment must include a thorough examination of the head and neck muscles to determine the presence of abnormal tension, and of the external carotid vasculature to determine whether there is an arterial element to the pain.

Headache sufferers often have a poor Quality of Life due to the constant pain and associated symptoms. For a free assessment of how your headaches are affecting your Quality of Life, click on http://www.headacheclinic.co.za/

This information has been supplied and checked by the multidisciplinary team of specialists at The Headache Clinic, in association with The International Headache Society and the South African Institute of Headache and Migraine Science. For consultation with these specialists, call The Headache Clinic (Cape Town, Durban, Johannesburg) on 0861 678 911.

1
Posted by: Headache expert | 2010/07/21

Dear Gloria,

Reply to Headache expert