Question
Posted by: Bgirl | 2010/08/02

headache and seeing a shrink

I''ve been expiriencing very painful headaches and I''ve been goingto my dr for them until last week when I went to see him he said he cant give me anymore medication cause he thinks its stress related. He sent me to see a clinical psychologist which I did and I have a another appointment but my problem is I dont feel comfortable with the whole therapy sessions and honestly dont think I need profesional help as I can handle my stress. Do I tell the psychologist that I cant continue with the sessions although Im still getting the headaches.

I understand why you feel a bit uneasy about this, but do discuss this itself with your psychologist. The doctor has found no physical cause for your headaches, which is good news. But stress is by far the commonest cause of headaches, which need to be approached in this way to resolve them properly. Don't think it's in any way weak or bad of you to have any such problems or to need help with them - sensible people do have such problems and if they are really sensible, they get the right sort of expert help with them.
There are significant risks associated with the chronic taking of strong pain meds, so this is worth avoiding.
taking an entirely physical approach to the headaches has not cleared them up. Give this alternative approach a full and proper trial - cooperate fully with the psychologist and accept that it MIGHT provide a solution - and give it a few months and see if it works.
And

1

And