Question

Headache and diet

Hi, Doc

What mineral / vitamin deficiency can cause headaches?

And what food triggers headaches and if possible, why these foods trigger it?

Many thanks

Dear Headache and Diet
I am not aware of specific vitamin and mineral deficiencies causing headaches per se, but it is possible that any imbalance in nutrition could cause a variety of symptoms including headaches. For example people with iron deficiency anaemia may develop headaches as part of their symptoms. Low blood sugar or hypoglycaemia is known to cause headaches. The influence of diet on headaches also depends on the type of headache in question. Stress headaches are not directly caused by a nutrition deficiency, but individuals who are highly stressed may respond positively to a vitamin B complex supplement. In the case of migraine headaches, some individuals, but not all, are sensitive to a compound called tyramine which is found in foods such as strong cheeses, biltong, red wine and beer, avocado, bananas, smoked or pickled fish, broad beans, meat or yeast extracts, dry sausage ( droë wors), sauerkraut, soy sauce, chocolate, and peanuts. Tyramine causes constriction of the blood vessels in the brain which can trigger migraines. I would recommend that you have a medical examination so that the dr can determine what type of headache you suffer from and if you may have hypoglycaemia, before you start excluding various foods or taking supplements.

1

Dear Headache and Diet