Question
Posted by: Greg | 2011/02/22

Headache all the time

My wife suffers from headaches all the time. She takes a miniu of four headache tables evty day??? is there a reason for this???

Expert ImageHeadache expert

Dear Greg,

There is always a reason for headaches. I have been specializing in headaches for 20 years and have never come across a headache sufferer where there is not a reason for the pain. The secret lies in a proper diagnosis. To get to the root of the problem, you need what is called a “multidisciplinary assessment”, which should include a neurological examination to rule out any serious underlying condition. There are so many different structures in the head and neck, all of which can be involved in the headache process, that no single specialist can have all the knowledge necessary to make a comprehensive assessment and diagnosis. For instance, a neurologist will examine the brain and nervous system, a physiotherapist will look at the muscles, a dentist will examine the teeth etc. For this reason, the “multidisciplinary assessment” combines and integrates the expertise of different specialists who would normally treat headache patients in isolation, into a single more comprehensive body of knowledge. This enables the different members of the team to provide a co-ordinated treatment plan, so that all the contributing factors are addressed.

This assessment must include a thorough examination of the head and neck muscles to determine the presence of abnormal tension, and of the external carotid vasculature to determine whether there is an arterial element to the pain.

Headache sufferers often have a poor Quality of Life due to the constant pain and associated symptoms. For a free assessment of how your headaches are affecting your Quality of Life, click on http://www.headacheclinic.co.za/

This information has been supplied and checked by the multidisciplinary team of specialists at The Headache Clinic, in association with The International Headache Society and the South African Institute of Headache and Migraine Science. For consultation with these specialists, call The Headache Clinic (Cape Town, Durban, Johannesburg) on 0861 678 911.

2
Posted by: PAUL | 2011/02/25

I myself suffer from headaches 24/7 the doctors are puzzled because they dit find anything. It getting so bad that I can see or speek and when I do speek you dont make any sence of what I say. I might say " IT IS A BEAUTIFULL DAY"  but what come out is " THERE ARE DIT IN THE ORANGE"  I THROW UP BECAUSE OF THE PAIN

Reply to PAUL
Posted by: Headache expert | 2011/02/22

Dear Greg,

Reply to Headache expert