Question
Posted by: Sherry | 2013-02-19

Headache

Woke up this morning feeling slightly fuzzy in my head. The all of sudden I felt this stabbing pain on the top of my head. It comes and goes in waves. I ate breakfast as I thought it might be related to not eating, but still it didn''t go away. I then took 2 x mypaid''s and slowly started to subside. But still every now and then this stabbing pain comes over my head and is really really painful. I still have this fuzzy sensation.

My vision gets slightly blurry and I get dizzy when I stand up.

Is this just a bad headache or migrane? Or could this be a symptom of malaria, as I live in a malaria area?

Sherry

Malaria will typically present with a very high fever and malaise. I think that you should consult your doctor for an exmaination and maybe an x-ray of your cervical spine. Severe muscle spasm can cause quite a severe headache. Your symptoms did improve after taking non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medication and therefore, the headache is most likely due to a muscular skeletal origin.

The dizziness when getting up, is most likely due to postural hypotension and I suggest that you keep yourself well hydrated and rather get up slower, in order for your blood pressure to stabilise.