Question
Posted by: Mathilda | 2012/07/23

Headache

On Thursday last week, I had to take my husband to casualties due his headaches being so severe. He was nasuas, etc. He always have headaches, every day - just the severity is different. But Thursday was the 3rd time I''ve seen that it went so bad that I actually was scared.
But at the hospital, they only gave him 3 different injections and sent him home with a script. And thus after I spoke to the dr separately informing her of the constant headaches, etc.
She prescribed two different pain pills and told him to alternate it to see which one helps him best. The one doesn''t do anything to help with the pain. The other only helped the first day.
He complains that his eyes hurts and he is always complaining that his testicels are also painful. Not sure if this is a due to the headaches or not.

I am really concerned!!

Please advise.

Expert ImageHeadache expert

Dear Mathilda,

To get to the root of the problem, you need what is called a “multidisciplinary assessment”, which should include a neurological examination to rule out any serious underlying condition. There are so many different structures in the head and neck, all of which can be involved in the headache process, that no single specialist can have all the knowledge necessary to make a comprehensive assessment and diagnosis. For instance, a neurologist will examine the brain and nervous system, a physiotherapist will look at the muscles, a dentist will examine the teeth etc. For this reason, the “multidisciplinary assessment” combines and integrates the expertise of different specialists who would normally treat headache patients in isolation, into a single more comprehensive body of knowledge. This enables the different members of the team to provide a co-ordinated treatment plan, so that all the contributing factors are addressed.

This assessment must include a thorough examination of the head and neck muscles to determine the presence of abnormal tension, and of the external carotid vasculature to determine whether there is an arterial element to the pain.

Headache sufferers often have a poor Quality of Life due to the constant pain and associated symptoms. For a free assessment of how your headaches are affecting your Quality of Life, click on http://www.headacheclinic.co.za/

This information has been supplied and checked by the multidisciplinary team of specialists at The Headache Clinic, in association with The International Headache Society and the South African Institute of Headache and Migraine Science. For consultation with these specialists, call The Headache Clinic (Cape Town, Durban, Johannesburg) on 0861 678 911.

1
Posted by: Headache expert | 2012/07/23

Dear Mathilda,

Reply to Headache expert