Question
Posted by: lynda | 2008/12/08

Headache

I am 35 Years old. I have been suffering from severe 24/7 headaches for most of my life and they do not respond to any form of pain tablet and therefore I have ceased taking pain medication as it has no affect.

For the past year now I have been suffering from severe burning pain in my arms and legs which become pins and needles and then paralysis. This is continual throughout the day. This has been for a year now.
An EMG showed chronic denervation of the myotomes. But the doctor is not treating me for this.

I have not had a got night sleep as this pain in my arms and legs then the pins and needles and the paralysis and the severe headaches keep me awake all night.

I have seen a neurologist who has been unable to determine the cause of my symptoms.

It has become so severe that it has had a major impact on my day to day physical activity such as sweeping a house, typing on a computer, working in the garden, painting, etc. I cant do anything physical cause of the severe headaches, i cant do anything of a physical nature involving arms and legs caus eit aggravates the burning, pins and needles and paralysis. It has really becoming a debilitating condition and no doctor nor specialist seems to have an answer.

I am becoming so frustrated and irritable - I want to have a normal life and do normal everyday physical things but I can only do it in limited amounts. I am at my wits end.

The one neurologist - a highly recommened professor actually turned me away and said he does not know what it is wrong. I was devastated.

Please is there anyone who can help me. I am so tired of suffering.
I have had a MRI which does not show anything of concern.

Hi Lynda
Have you tried physiotherapy for your symptoms? You may have fibromyalgia and underlying muscle spasms and triggerpoints. Try to find a physio who specializes in myofascial syndromes in your area - phone around. Ask your GP to try the following: Magnesium supplements, Vit B co supplement and 10 mg Tryptanol at night for a month to 6 weeks. Walk for 30 min each day - even if it is slow. Try to avoid pain tablets, rather use heat pads on the painful areas. Let me know how it goes?

4
Posted by: LYNDA | 2008/12/22

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR ALL YOUR INPUT

Reply to LYNDA
Posted by: Keen | 2008/12/10

There is a new medication called LYRICA which is indicated for neuropathic pain (burning, pins&  needles) and also as a treatment for fibromyalgia. It is a bit expensive tho. Ask your doctor about it.

Reply to Keen
Posted by: FOREVER HEADACHE | 2008/12/09

Hi Lynda

I have the same problem. Exactly the same problem you indicated here.

I' m also 35 year old lady. I' ve been to the GP' s and specialists. One specialist did a brain scan and did not find anything wrong with me.

I know most of the pain killers and other very strong. Others are like wafers which the doctors claim to be assistng a lot but with me they brought a temporary relief.

My youngest son likes playing with but it is not possible because i avoid jumping. Once I jump all hell break loose. I will feel as if someone is hammering my head. I am unable to exercise and to lead a normal life because of this headache thing.

At work I' m always off sick. I has really affected me. As for the needles they have spread to my whole body and lately I cannot sleep very well I feel as if there are cramps on the back of my skull. At times I do not feel my face/forehead and everywhere where these needles are.

Reply to FOREVER HEADACHE

Hi Lynda

Reply to FOREVER HEADACHE