Question
Posted by: Mary | 2010/03/11

Head lice - problems getting rid of them

The kids and us (parents) have had head lice for over three months now. Have used every shampoo and spray available in South African pharmacies, washed clothes, pillow cases and towels, combed the hair and cannot get rid of it. For a day or two, it looks like they are gone, but then they are back, we find them crawling in the bathroom and the hair/scalp itch. What else can we try to do?
Thanks so much,
Mary

Hallo Mary
Try to spray heads with Paraspray after washing with lice shampoo. Lice usually cling to hair and won't crawl on floors/other surfaces - are you sure the creatures you saw in the bathroom are lice?
dr Bets

3
Posted by: Lala | 2010/03/11

Hi Mary &  Katrein

You can buy Controlice from your pharmacy. They have a lotion that you need to leave in your hair overnite. I have done that with my daughter and the following morning I took the Lice Buster Comb (also Controlice product) to remove the nits. I have dipped the comb in boiling water after I have combed a strand of hair and then wiped it with a tissue before I go to the next strand. After removing the nits you may wash your hair as normal. The following days I have gone through her hair and found a few nits that I removed with my nails. You must repeat the application after 7 days. That worked for us. Good luck

Reply to Lala
Posted by: Katrein | 2010/03/11

I am no expert, but I am dealing with the same problem Would like to know in what area you live? What seems to help on the sculp - may sound weird but it help us so far. Mix one cup of paraffin, one cup of white vinegar and one cup of oil. Mix very well. Shake and spray on the hair and sculp. Leave on for about 20 min. (none of our heads burned but if this happen wash off immediatley with warm water and shampoo) Rinse. Wash hair with shampoo and conditioner. Sometimes the smell stays, but just spray some perfume . Do not last long. Repeat after 7 days, and then after 7 days again. Reason: The adults lay eggs. When the little one comes out it takes approx. 2-3 days before they can lay eggs. So if they are killed before that it is good. Headlice cannot live more than two days withou ''food''. After2 days they die. Try also to fumegate you whole house. Doom foger. Also - all brushes and combs - leave in HOT water for about 10 min. Hope this will help.

Reply to Katrein
Posted by: cyberdoc | 2010/03/11

Hallo Mary
dr Bets

Reply to cyberdoc