Question
Posted by: Emily | 2009-08-18

HEAD LICE: HELP ME!

Dear doctor,

The other day I discovered a little critter in my hair when casually running my fingers through it. Over the past month or so, when I scratch my head, I sometimes have little white round things stuck to my nail - which I now believe may be the eggs/nits. This is really freaking me out, as I hate uncleanliness and anything creep crawly!

I went to the pharmacy and they were very unhelpful when I pleaded with them for advice! They didn' t seem to know their story and just told me to buy Gambex.

Gambex' s instructions aren' t very detailed - only saying wash hair with it and repeat in 24 hours if necessary. Nothing about combing or the like.

I bought a metal lice comb along with the Gambex and went home immediately to wash my hair, after which I combed through it with the comb. I didn' t really find anything in the comb and it' s very hard to do one' s own hair...

Three days later, I washed my hair again with the Gambex in the shower, applied a lot of conditioner to my hair and combed it out again with the lice comb.

This morning, another three days later, I repeated the Gambex and conditioner.

I plan to do this again in another three days - hoping to kill any newly hatched lice (seeing as I can' t see if I have gotten all the nits, any baby lice will be killed with the shampoo).

Is this an effective plan of action? My head is still very itchy and I am convinced that there are lice crawling around and that the shampoo may not have worked - is it possible for Gambex to be ineffective?

Please also advise how important it is to bag up all things such as bedding and clothing. The pharmacist said that it is nonsense that clothing and bedding need to be sterilised, as lice only like heads. I am not so sure if they are right though.

PLEASE HELP. I feel so alone and am too embarrassed to ask or tell anyone about this or to check my hair for, so I desperately need a way of getting rid of it alone.

THANK YOU.

Hallo Emily
It is better to wash all possible bedding with hot water. You have been doing the right thing with the Gambex. You can comb out your hair with a nit comb over a white sheet to see if any lice are still present. You can also spray your hair lightly with Paraspray after blow drying. Please just not leave Gambex on your skin for too long, and also try not to get Paraspray on your skin, as it is absorbed by the skin and can cause toxicity.

2
Posted by: Lala | 2009-08-19

Controlice have great products, one which you can leave on overnight and then the following morning you need to use the comb. This is a natural product with no harmful toxic. They also have a metal comb, called lice buster, very effective.

Reply to Lala
Posted by: CTMom | 2009-08-19

Mix Tea Tree oil, coconut oil and eucalyptus oil in even parts, put into your hair and leave in as long as possible. They seem to hate it and it doesnt do damage like gambex does. Repeat as often as you like.

Wash all bedding, towels, scarves, beanies, brushes in hot water with dettol.

Reply to CTMom