Question
Posted by: Ange | 2009-03-25

Head itchy, pins and needle feeling

Hi Doc,
I have been to my GP on Monday and had some blood tests done and when i phoned today the nurse said that she he did not make any comments..so everything should be normal.
I have not been feeling well for a while now.
1. I have severe hair loss...from the roots..not breaking but from the roots. I have long hair and know the diff. between normal everyday hair loss and this.
2. I have this strange pins and needles feeling underneath my skin on my head...only on the left side..like something is moving..now it may sound strange but I don’ t know how to explain it.
3. I thought I might have head lice since my son got a letter from school that it is doing the rounds. I washed my hair several time with a shampoo and then the itch stops, but its back again..the doc. had a look but he could not confirm..he said he " thinks"  he saw some nits..but I must wash it again or ells cut my hair.
4. I have this strange feeling of being a bit off balance and have this strange " headache"  feeling on my head. Feels like I am a bit off balance. I really feel not myself.
The doc said my blood pressure is a bit low and he wanted to test me for having an overactive/underactive thyroid...
I am really worried about this strange feeling on my head...im worried that some insect might have made home for itself under my skin...pls don’ t think im crazy, but i really feel strange and do not know what to do next.
Thanks so much for your time.

Dear Ange
Did the headache/off balance symptoms begin after washing with lice shampoo? It could be a side effect from the shampoo. Nits are clearly visible on the hair as white spots, ask your pharmacist to have a look. You may have a skin condition of the scalp causing the itching and hair loss, especially if you have "dandruff" and a red scalp.
Hair loss can also be caused by thyroid problems, low iron levels, stress or after a recent illness/pregnancy. I think you should talk to your doctor personally so that he can tell you what the next step would be. It sounds as if he wanted to do more testing if the initial tests were ok?