Posted by: Marcelle C | 2009-09-07

Head injury/hearing

Dear Dr. Recently my husband had a blackout after coughing and not being able to get his breath.... he fell on his face on tiled floors thus injuring his head/eye/cut forhead and lip........ The healing has improved and the opthomologist is happy with the state of his eye inspite of the bleeding and bruising in the eye. The problem that has now arisen is that he is complaining of buzzing in his ear/s and I have noticed that the volume of TV or car radio is turned up very loud..... and he speaks softly.... (he tells me he is not aware of this!) He is a heavy snorer/ apnea. Could you perhaps comment?
Gratefully. MC.

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear Marcelle

It is possible to obtain hearing loss after a head injury. This could be due to multiple factors, ranging from a fracture through the cochlea causing sensori-neural hearing loss, to bleeding into the middle ear cavity that will cause a conductive hearing loss. He should be examined by an ENT to establish a cause and this will include doing a full ENT examination and an audiogram. Depending on the outcome a CT of the temporal bones may be necessary. This will be able to determine whether or not the damage is permanent.