Question
Posted by: chantal | 2008/07/14

head injury

my 2.4 year old fell on his head on saturday and screamed. I am not sure what happened as I didn't see him fall, it was in the bedroom, he could have fallen from the bunk, on a cupboard, or just slipped, I just don't know. he had a huge "egg' on his head and then asked to go to sleep (10am in the morning, unheard of), so I let him. I had friends then tell me to NOT let him sleep as this is not good, and I eventually took him to hospital. they were really full and in the hour that we waited to see a dr he perked up and looked fine so I actually took him home without seeing one. i had a pamphlet from them checking for further symptoms and he has had none.

What is the correct thing to do in a situation like this?

Also, in december he fell headfirst off a slide on a concrete block and had stitches in his head, he has had many bumps on his head (busy boy), is this a bad thing? I have been told that too many head injuries can lead to complications with vision, etc.?

many thanks

Dear Chantal
signs of a serious head injury are a change in conciousness, pupil size changes, drowsyness, vomiting and fits. However, often they get a fright and scream so much that they actually go to sleep because they are tired and shocked! So I agree with your friends, try to calm him down and keep him awake for about an hour or so after a fall, and if he goes to sleep, wake him up after half an hour or so to see if he is still conscious and lucid. If he is he can go back to sleep. Check his pupils and whether he can walk and talk normally.