Posted by: Purple | 2011-03-31

head engagement

I''m 33 weeks pregnant (tomorrow it will be 34 weeks), with my second pregnancy.

I thought that with second pregnancies, your tummy didn''t drop down at all as babies head wasn''t that likely to engage until you were actually in labour. I also thought that in first pregnancies your tummy would drop anywhere from about 6 weeks before the birth (so at around 34 weeks or later).

I have been carrying quite high with this pregnancy and over the last few days have noticed that I can suddenly breathe more easily and can eat larger meals in one sitting. At about the same time people have been commenting on how my stomach has dropped.
Is this just my poor muscles giving up, or does it mean anything at all?

In my first pregnancy I carried fairly low, but there was also a noticeable dropping of my tummy at around this point in my pregnancy. I gave birth at 39 weeks and was already a few cm dilated well before even going into labour.

I just thought my tummy wouldn''t actually drop this time around.

I''ve just found this whole pregnancy very different. I''m 7 years older, yet I have felt healthier and more energetic, I''m still able to excercise easily (in my first pregnancy I was very unfit and didn''t excercise at all). I''m just handling everything so much more easily - yet I get told by everyone that things are usually so much more difficult when you are older. Is this normal? Can I put it down to being quite fit this time around and keeping up my excercise routine as far as is practical given the large size of my stomach (which really is enormous).

Every pregnancy is differnt and whether the head engages early or not also differs from pregnancy to pregnancy. If you are healthier this time round, this could be why your pregnancy is easier.