Question
Posted by: Mommy | 2011/10/27

head aches,eyes and back pains

Morning Doc.
I gave birth to a healthybaby girl last year in september via csection with epidural.Ever since i have been experiencing back pains and head aches which affect my eyes.I can hardly open my eyes i look sleepy due to the pain.Goin to the docs i get pain killers thats all.I went to see a spinal doctor did therapies or months but no help.He says the head aches are caused by my spine pains.
Can you please help me.
They are so painfull i can hardly do anything with my baby even lift her or carry her on my back.I am 24 years old.

I thought it migrane because i woul get a runny tummy.feel hot and nauseas js become moody to an extend i thought i am pregnant again but i am not.Thank you.

Expert ImageHeadache expert

Dear Mommy,
Sometimes an epidural can trigger off back pain and headaches. Pain killers are just a temporary measure and don’t get to the root of the problem. To get to the root of the problem, you need what is called a “multidisciplinary assessment”, which should include a neurological examination to rule out any serious underlying condition. There are so many different structures in the head and neck, all of which can be involved in the headache process, that no single specialist can have all the knowledge necessary to make a comprehensive assessment and diagnosis. For instance, a neurologist will examine the brain and nervous system, a physiotherapist will look at the muscles, a dentist will examine the teeth etc. For this reason, the “multidisciplinary assessment” combines and integrates the expertise of different specialists who would normally treat headache patients in isolation, into a single more comprehensive body of knowledge. This enables the different members of the team to provide a co-ordinated treatment plan, so that all the contributing factors are addressed.

This assessment must include a thorough examination of the head and neck muscles to determine the presence of abnormal tension, and of the external carotid vasculature to determine whether there is an arterial element to the pain.

Headache sufferers often have a poor Quality of Life due to the constant pain and associated symptoms. For a free assessment of how your headaches are affecting your Quality of Life, click on http://www.headacheclinic.co.za/

This information has been supplied and checked by the multidisciplinary team of specialists at The Headache Clinic, in association with The International Headache Society and the South African Institute of Headache and Migraine Science. For consultation with these specialists, call The Headache Clinic (Cape Town, Durban, Johannesburg) on 0861 678 911.

2
Posted by: Headache expert | 2011/10/28

Dear Mommy,

Reply to Headache expert
Posted by: Mommy | 2011/10/27

forgot to mention they are not the normal head aches one would get.At times it feels like water running in my sculp like when im taking a shower.from my eyes to the back oor on the sides.i have to move sloow and do things slow.Pain killers dnt help.I have to sleep so i cannot feel them.

Reply to Mommy