Posted by: Cracked | 2009-10-06

He won' t admit he is crazy

My father is crazy and he does not want to seek help.
He does not consider himself crazy that is the problem.
We all know he is, he can' t keep a job, well he hasn’ t been working for the past 5 yrs I think and he still has 2young kids to look after.
So I am financially responsible for them and the household.
This man will not seek help, when he snaps he threatens to kill himself, everyone else. He does not want to hear about work, if you have a conversation and it revolves around working people etc.their victories he just flips.
He wants to start all these businesses and he is just not business minded at all.
He has opened a couple and they all fail, why? Because he gives everything away, he borrows people money and never gets it back and most importantly he dsnt learn from it.
Up until today, now he does not have money right, he still borrows people money! This from money I give for petrol or food for the house. Now let me mention this then he throws a fit threatening to kill himself etc
The older he gets the worse it becomes, he does not think normally and I really think he should be given treatment for whatever illness he has but we cant convince him to go and see someone.How can we force him to get some psychiatric help

We recently had a very similar question about someone's mother --- do look back in the forum for that discussion, as most of it will apply to your question, too.
Its not necessary for him to consider himself "crazy". But if he has problems, it would be useful for him to recognize this and to get help to deal better with them.
If you are taking financial responsibility for him and his two children because he doesn't bother to get work and deal with these of his duties himself, he needs to respect you for your help, and co-operate with you. If he is seriour about threatening harming himself and others, he might ualifiy for compulsory assessment and tratment, but you would need to discuss this with a doctor, preferably one who knows him.
It is so sad that so many people who could get a well paying ordinary job, don't bother to even look for or keep one, as they are deluided that they can start and prosper with businesses for which they may have no talent at all.
When you say he lednds to other people money you have given him for food for the house, he is probably trying to make it appear to others that he has money of his own. SO far as possible, arrange for him to get the necessary food and petrol from a specific place which will agree to let you pay the bill there directly, rather than you needing to give him cash.

Posted by: almost mad | 2009-10-06

Maybe he isnt crazy. Maybe just selfish and feeling sorry for himself?

Reply to almost mad