Question
Posted by: Ania | 2011-02-03

he soils himself

Hi CS

I think i've written about this about 3-4 years ago about my child who's occasionally soil himself. He is now 7 years old and he will do it like once or twice a week. I've spanked, shouted and threatened to tell his friends - but nothing is working!

I've made a promise to him that there will not be any spanking or shouting anymore as i was feeling really bad and i thought it was abuse. Only yesterday he re assured me that he wasn't going to do it again, guess what this morning whilst bathing him - i noticed that he hadn't wiped himself properly and asked him when did this happen and he just kept quiet and I let go of it.

Few minutes later whilst putting lotion on his body - he had soiled himself a little bit and he didn't even try to stop me from touching him - I was really disgusted and upset but I did not react in a way that I'd normally do!

I've tried finding out if there's anything that I should know about, whether he was being bullied or any sort of thing that makes him sad - he just stood there with a blank expression and began crying silently! This breaks my heart, he is the only child I have and as much as I'm a single mom.

I try my best to make him happy but clearly I'm failing at something! what should I do? Please help

As you've discovered, however frustrating this is, spanking and shouting simply don't help.

The reactions you descibe from him are so sad. Take him to see a good child psychiatrist for a proper assessment. Occcasionally there are physical causes which make it much harder for a child to remain continent ; but usually the causes are psychological and it can be solved.

YOU ARE NOT FAILING ; and HE IS NOT FAILING. But more expertise is needed to gently assess the situation and help him to get this right.

2
Posted by: Ania | 2011-02-03

Thanks CS, will get on with it right away!

Reply to Ania