Question
Posted by: Sipo | 2012/01/31

hdaily headache

Hello

I am a new mom, my baby is 4 months old and I have been getting headaches daily for weeks now. I mentioned this to my doctor and she prescribed ESPIRIDE 50mg for me (3 months subscription) and I have been taking these pills, at first they helped but I feel like they are not helping me anymore. I know I am so stressed at my work and I can''t do anything about the problems i am facing here so I do not know how to get rid of my headaches since I face whats stressing me daily. Any advice?

Expert ImageHeadache expert

Dear Sipo
Espiride is an antidepressant – perhaps your doctor thought that your headaches are a result of being depressed? In any event, if they are not helping then to get to the root of the problem, you need what is called a “multidisciplinary assessment”, which should include a neurological examination to rule out any serious underlying condition. There are so many different structures in the head and neck, all of which can be involved in the headache process, that no single specialist can have all the knowledge necessary to make a comprehensive assessment and diagnosis. For instance, a neurologist will examine the brain and nervous system, a physiotherapist will look at the muscles, a dentist will examine the teeth etc. For this reason, the “multidisciplinary assessment” combines and integrates the expertise of different specialists who would normally treat headache patients in isolation, into a single more comprehensive body of knowledge. This enables the different members of the team to provide a co-ordinated treatment plan, so that all the contributing factors are addressed.

This assessment must include a thorough examination of the head and neck muscles to determine the presence of abnormal tension, and of the external carotid vasculature to determine whether there is an arterial element to the pain.

Headache sufferers often have a poor Quality of Life due to the constant pain and associated symptoms. For a free assessment of how your headaches are affecting your Quality of Life, click on http://www.headacheclinic.co.za/

This information has been supplied and checked by the multidisciplinary team of specialists at The Headache Clinic, in association with The International Headache Society and the South African Institute of Headache and Migraine Science. For consultation with these specialists, call The Headache Clinic (Cape Town, Durban, Johannesburg) on 0861 678 911.

2
Posted by: sipo | 2012/01/31

whats more is that it feels as if theres something heavy on my head and as if the sides of my head are being pressed and it feels as if its swollen from mu upper jaw to the top of the head. What could be causing this?

Reply to sipo
Posted by: Headache Expert | 2012/01/31

Dear Sipo

Reply to Headache Expert