Question
Posted by: Slippers | 2011/09/14

HCG doubling daily &  high progesterone - ectopic?

Hello doc

I''ve had 3 HCG tests which indicate that my numbers are doubling every 24 hours. I also tested my progesterone which is 72 (but I am on progesterone vaginal suppositories as well).

My HCG has been:
1. 8 September: HCG = 121
2. 10 September: HCG = 524
3. 13 September: HCG = 2352

I''ve read that high doubling HCG can mean an ectopic pregnancy - is this true, or a myth? I have no pain, spotting, etc - only sore breasts and slight queasiness in the evenings (and tired of course).

I am only 5 weeks pregnant and seeing my gynae late next week.

Please advise?
Thank you!

No, it is the other way round. If the HCG does not double in 24 hrs it is more likely to be an ectopic. Your figures are good and indicate a healthy pregnancy.

4

Posted by: Bee | 2011/09/16

Hi there,

As far as I know it should double, and that it means the baby is growing.

I am also pregnant 3 weeks (5weeks) and the lady at the doctors room said if I want to I can go again for the blood test to see if my levels going higher as I had a miscarriage 3 months ago (almost 3 month) when the baby''s heart just stop.As I understood it if I went to see if my levels getting higher earlier then maybe they would have pick up that the heart stopped earlier and I did not have to walk with the tissue, because they also say that the tissue can then cause infection if you leave it there. I had no idea at all as I did not start bleeding or having cramps nothing.

Good luck, and let us know what happened.

Bee

Reply to Bee
Posted by: Slippers | 2011/09/14

Thanks Anon - I know the numbers on their own mean nothing, I''m more concerned with the doubling every 24 hours (as opposed to 48 - 72 hours) and coupled with the high progesterone, it seems strange...

Reply to Slippers

Well rather wait to see your gynae but when I was 6 weeks pregnant my hcg was 77 654 and now I am 12 weeks and the levels are starting to drop and stabilise. I am fine and my baby is healthy and very well.