Posted by: Liza | 2012-05-22

Hi there,

My husband and i have been trying for a year. I have always been very regular, I started my cycle on 3/5, it lasted 5 days and then i started a lighter one again 11/05, i did three preg tests and they came back postive. I then went to the doc on 14/05 where bloods were done with the reading HCG:138 and Prog:12.8. When he did an internal he said there was a egg ready but i dont look pregnant because the lining does not look right. I was put on progesterone. I was told to have more bloods done yesterday and the HCG level came back at 8.2, i also started bleeding last night.

Have i miscarried? Is it implantation bleeding?

Dear Liza

The most plausible explanation is that you have had a biochemical pregnancy and an early miscarriage most probably due to a low progesterone level. The bleeding pattern does not fit an implantation bleed and is somewhat confusing based on the dates that you have provided. It is possible that you have conceived in the previous cycle and the two bleeds maybe related to the early miscarriage.

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim

Posted by: Dr Tebogo Deo | 2012-05-22

Hi Liza

Your HCG levels have dropped remarkably and this usually is a sign of a failing pregnancy.Your blood results is supposed to double every 48hours to show that the pregnancy is growing well

Reply to Dr Tebogo Deo