Posted by: Thyroid and adrenals | 2009-07-03

having a sore throat

Hi Doc,

Nov 2007 : Took USN Phedra cut diet pills.

2 weeks later : felt a lump/sore throat and immediately discontinued Phedra cut.

Blood test revealed TSH of 23 (range 0.5-5) and T4 of 12-13.

I have since not been on Eltroxin for 18 months. I do not want to start Eltroxin as the last time I went on it (Dec 2007), I experienced palpitations, sweating, muscle loss of 2kg, insomnia (woke up at 1am and 4am in the morning with rapid heartbeat).

A blood test this week showed a TSH of 59 and T4 of 13.

I am experiencing no side effects, except a little lethargy during the day which disappears at 6pm.

Could the Phedra cut fat burner have worn out my adrenal glands causing the hypothyroidism (hopefully reversible)?

I am 21 years old, and have no family history of thyroid disease. Nor did I have any thyroid or health problems prior to taking the fat burner.

What should I do?

Can you recommend any good Endocrinologists in Gauteng (East rand)?

Who knows what these supplements can do, as they are not tested. I suggest that you contact your nearest hospital and ask them for the details of a good endocrinologist in your area, in order for you to consult him/her. Unfortunately, I am situated in Cape Town and am not familiar with specialists in the Gauteng region.