Question
Posted by: Charlene | 2010/06/11

Have huge cyst during pg dr wants to operate

I am ten weeks preganant and I have had a baseball sized cyst since I was five weeks. It can be very painful sometimes and the dr now wants to operate and remove it. He says he has done the surgery lots of times and never lost a baby but my I am terrified. It took my husband and I three years and two miscarriages to get this far. What is your opinion? Please advise.

Dear Charlene

It is always difficult for me to give you an opinion when I have not fully examined you and assessed the full clinical status. Therefore the best person to advise you is your doctor who has examined you thoroughly. If a cyst is very large there is a risk of it undergoing torsion and that may be a reason why your doctor wants to remove it. There may be other reasons why he may want to remove is as he may suspecting a complex cyst and is concerned about it’s nature. As a general rule if there is no immediate need to remove the cyst then one should atleast wait for the second trimester, which is after 14 weeks of pregnancy, before removing the cyst. I would suggest that you discuss this with your doctor and he would then explain to you what concerns he about wanting to remove the cyst in pregnancy.

Answered by: Dr Y.M. Dasoo

2
Posted by: Charlene | 2010/07/08

The dr decided that we could not wait any longer and he operated at 11 and half weeks. Fortunat y both I and the baby came through just fine and we are still trying heal.

Reply to Charlene
Posted by: Fertility expert | 2010/06/18

Dear Charlene

Answered by: Dr Y.M. Dasoo

Reply to Fertility expert