Question
Posted by: Claire | 2012/01/18

Haunted by pornographic images - how to get rid of them

I''ve been exposed to porn, although not frequently, from a young age. The images that I''ve accumulated over the years haunt me during sex with my husband. Although I don''t revisit porn very often, say every 3 months (I try hard not to), I can''t shake the old images out of my mind.

It''s a real problem as I feel I very rarely get aroused by my husband only (usually the arousal is the result of old porn memories that are triggered or a sensual movie). I read that porn can make you sensitized towards pornographic material and desensitized to normal sexual encounters, I think that''s what happened. I have a low libido as I don''t get aroused by my husband and the stress of knowing that the images will haunt me, makes me want to escape sex. When I do have sex, the stress of fearing I''ll be haunted makes me unable to enjoy it, and most often I give into the memories to be able to relax. Afterwards I''m wrecked with guilt.

What steps must I take to get out of this vicious cycle? I want to honour my husband, focus on him and be able to get aroused by him only.

The young age'worries me, because if we talk as young as when you were a child (under 18 years), we are not only talking about exposure, it becomes legally child abuse. Children exposed to porn are often also a victim of other sexual or emotional offences against children and that make them very vulnerable when they are adults and can compromise adult sexual relationships. This may or may not apply to you. If true for you it is very important that you discuss it with a professional who can assist you in dealing with those images. Deidre - SASHA

2
Posted by: mark | 2012/01/19

try making a porn of u and the hubby and watch it while haveing sex

Reply to mark
Posted by: sexologist | 2012/01/19

Reply to sexologist