Question
Posted by: Sad | 2010-06-15

Hate my Job

Hi there, please can I have some advice. I am currently in a job position that I hate. I am on contract until end August with 24hrs notice each way. I now my boss is looking to replace me and he is interviewing people this week. I am also looking for work elsewhere. My problem is my boss has a fit if I want to come in a bit late or leave a bit early (for interviews). He doesn''t know that I am looking. My question is do I compromise my situation by saying that I am not happy and want to look for something else and say that I am willing to stay on until either I find something or he replaces me. I currently work 7-4 with 1/2hr lunch time and not many people are keen on seeing me at 5pm so I have lost out on a few interviews. I''m just not sure what to do but to get myself in the market I need to be able to get out of the office!

If this is a job with the conditions you describe, he must surely assume you are looking for a job any intelligent person would be doing so. Purple's advice makes excellent sense. He cant reasonably expect you to wait till August or until he suddenly decides to hire someone else, before you start looking, and its reasonable for them to allow you some time to go to interviews.

2
Posted by: Purple | 2010-06-15

AS your contract is ending at the end of August, just tell him that you are attending interviews and will be taking time off to do so. Tell him that if you fall behind in your work, you will stay late to complete it but you wil not be " making up time"  by sitting there twiddling your thumbs.

If he gives you notice not to come back the next day then go to an agency and ask for temp assignments for while you are looking for permanent work as this will at least bring in some money.

Reply to Purple