Question
Posted by: SJ | 2012-03-26

Hashimoto disease

I have been diagnosed with Hashimoto disease which effects your thyroid gland - my thyoid level is very very low. I have gained weight due to this disease and it also causes high cholesterol.

I would like to find out if there is a specific eating plan that you could reccommend for me as i have very little energy, high cholesterol, and some weight to loose (not so much about 10kgs or so).

I have used weighless successfully before and would also like to know if i can follow this diet?

Thanks.

Dear SJ
Hashimoto disease is indeed a problem. It is an autoimmune disease which means that your own body is basically making antibodies against the thyroid tissue and thus preventing it from making the necessary thyroid hormone. I trust that you are receiving medical treatment including thyroid hormone replacement therapy and cholesterol-lowering medications (such as statins). You can certainly use the Weigh-Less diet to lose weight if you have been successful with it in the past. This is a well balanced low-fat eating plan so it should also help your raised cholesterol levels. Weightloss per se will also help to reduce the cholesterol levels, so do use the diet and start doing some form of exercise such as brisk walking every day for 30 or more minutes.

1
Posted by: DietDoc | 2012-03-26

Dear SJ