Posted by: Lorinda | 2012-09-23

Harvesting egg - GIFT?

I had a sterilisation and am now wanting to fall pregnant again. I have heard that a reverse op can be done but is not very successful. Can an egg be harvested from me and transplanted in the fallopian tube past the blockage only. What would something like this cost? I dont need other fertility treatment - just to get past the sterilisation site.

Dear lorinda
It is not possible to simply fertilise an egg and position it in the upper part of the tube, beyond the obstructed sight, as this would be physically complicated, and it increases the risk of an ectopic pregnancy. From a cost perspective it would be tantamount to be doing an invitro fertilisation process anyway. This is what I would recommend instead. Answered by: Dr M.I.Cassim