Question
Posted by: Yasmeen | 2009-08-05

hardened white patches on side of throat

Please can you advise. I have been diagnosed with tonsolitis a number of times. I then started to realise that it was largely seasonal and when my allergies spiked and I therefore was able to control it more. Now I only have an episode once every 6 months perhaps. A few months ago I had tonsilitis. It really lasted for about a week and had the usual white stuff at the back &  side on my throat. Once the infection was over most of this disappeared but one patch remained behind. After a week I consulted my gp who advised that this mass in the side crevice of my throat was probably sluff and would fall off soon. It is now approximately 3 months later and it is still there. So I tried to scrape it off by myself. A portion came off but had a rather bad odour. I tried to remove the rest but it was hard and clearly attached. Should I go back to my gp or head to an ENT. Could this be a cause for concern.

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear Yasmeen

Go and see an ENT specialist. It is not normal to have a persistent white patch in your throat. It could be a tonsillolith (tonsil stone), thrush, chronic ulcer, growth. It must be assessed and managed by an ENT