Question
Posted by: SK | 2012-08-15

Hard skin on the feet and corns

Dear Podiatrist

Im 27 years old and for some reason i just cannot get a smooth skin on my feet. I have tried all remedies, creams but the skin under my feet is so hard. I wear shoes all the time but that is not helping. Wearing an open shoe is a BIG NO NO for me beacsue of this problem. I also have calusses and corns on my toes which i physically cut using a knife but they grow back into a hard skin. Please help and if you cannot, please refer me to a good podiatrist around Pretoria. Thank you

Expert ImagePodiatrist

Corns and callouses are caused by increased pressure or friction over an area, which encourage the skin to build up. Corns and callouses can be painfull and cause discomfort. Cracked heels are often caused by wearing sandals and your callouses could also be aggravated by wearing certain sandals as you have to grip with your toes to hold onto them. The best and only way to treat callouses is to consult with a podiatrist that would remove it non-surgically and advise you on the correct creams and daily routine to follow. It would also be advisable to change your shoes which is usually the cause of the problem otherwise the problem will reoccur. For a podiatrist in Pretoria please contact the Podiatry association of South Africa on 0861 100 249 or www.podiatrist.co.za

2
Posted by: Fatime | 2012-10-16

When you say, " with olive oil, gairlc and salt,"  do you use raw gairlc? Powdered? Minced? Sauteed? (We take it in all forms, but I just want to know what you''re recommending here.)

Reply to Fatime
Posted by: podiatrist | 2012-08-22

Reply to podiatrist