Question
Posted by: Tasha | 2011/10/13

happy with Androcur results but...

Hi Pharm

I''m on month 3 of Androcur and am noticing the hirsutism is diminishing. However, as this is solely due to my taking the drug (50mg), does this mean I have to take it for life? I am also takng it for my severe cystic acne, which is worst along the jawline.

What is a ''safe'' number of years for a woman to be on Androcur? I am of child-bearing age by the way and still want more children (I have one). Are there any known long-term risks asosciated with taking Androcur for many years as a woman? I know of one woman who has taken it for over 15 years now, can this be safe? She says it''s not like she has a choice as the minute she stops, the hirsutism returns.

I also had a quick q about Roaccutane. The derm wants to add it to my regimen of drugs (I''m also on Bactrim and Minerva) but thing is I have taken it four times before. I read somewhere that it is ineffective after the third course and ppl who have tried it that often shd not try it again as they will get nothing out of it - isotretinoin immunity/resistance has developed by that point. Any truth to this?

Expert ImagePharmacist

Hi Tasha

Hirsutism and alopecia are likely to recur when treatment is stopped. Your doctor will have to decide on a length of treatment that (s)he feel is appropriate for your situation - It is often given for several months or years.

I dont believe that resistance or immunity to Roaccutane is a reality. If you responded well to earlier courses, chances excellent good that it will be effective again.

All the best!

1
Posted by: pharmacist | 2011/10/17

Hi Tasha

All the best!

Reply to pharmacist