Question
Posted by: Jan | 2009-08-25

Happily Depressed???

Is it possible to be depressed, but not feel depressed? I had really severe PND in 2005/2006, so I know very well, what it is to be depressed and all that goes along with that and was on Paroxetine for a year. I made a fabulous recovery and DH and I have been blessed with another gorgeous daughter in Feb this year. We both know that PND could strike again and have kept a close eye on me and all has been well. 2nd time mommydom has been fantastic and it' s really been a happy time. Last week I went to my GP, as from early July I haven' t been feeling well - fatigue, lethargic, headaches, forgetful, lack of concentration, sugar cravings, headaches and yes some moodiness, and he did blood tests (sugar, thyroid, iron, etc....), but these have come back normal. So now he' s put me on cilift for 14 days, starting today, but I' m concerned, because I dont'  feel depressed!!! Last time I developed paranoia, stopped eating completely, lost 13kg' s in two weeks, had insomnia, completely lost my sense of humour, suicidal ideation, to name but a few. Besides the other symptoms which are crappy, which could otherwise indicate quite a few other problems, I feel fine - I' m laughing, I feel happy, I' m eatiing healthily. So could I be a happy depressed person? (Besides for bipolar, which I' m definately not experiencing). How could the despair and all engulfing sadness not be present and showing as symptoms, if indeed I am depressed? If I am depressed, I' ll gladly do my treatment and I' m by no means embarressed by the illness, and we have prepared for the possibility, so it' s not something I' d be in denial about either.....it' s just not making sense that I could be depressed, but not feel depressed.

Absulutely ! Obviously a noticeable depressed mood is common within a Depression, but often the physical and other symptoms are obvious without a major degree of sadness. Also, sometimes one may be so sad as to be feling numb and unfeeling, in a depression, and may go through a phase of feeling sadder in the early stages of depression, before the mood lifts to normal levels.
But the complex story you describe sugests a more complex possibility, and one that would best be assessed thoroughly by a specialist Psychiatrist, who your GP could refer you to, and be sure about the diagnosis and the best method of treatment.

1
Posted by: Jan | 2009-08-25

Thanks a million Doc, I' d rather be certain and treat it as is necessary than ignore it, becuase I don' t recognise it for what it really is.

Reply to Jan